Linus Torvalds has introduced the discharge of the Linux Kernel model 5.17, with one of the outstanding options being the brand new AMD P-State driver for contemporary CPUs.
From the discharge announcement: “So we had an additional week of on the finish of this launch cycle, and I am completely happy to report that it was very calm certainly. We might in all probability have skipped it with not lots of draw back, however we did get just a few last-minute reverts and fixes in and keep away from some brown-paper bugs that will in any other case have been secure fodder, so it is all good.”
You may view a human-readable changelog because of the parents at Kernel Newbies however here is among the highlights:
- AMD P-State driver – a efficiency scaling driver that introduces a brand new CPU frequency management mechanism on AMD Zen based mostly CPU sequence in Linux kernel. Designed to provide higher energy effectivity and can assist the likes of the Steam Deck.
- Updates for next-generation AMD GPUs
- Extra enhancements to deliver up help for Apple Silicon
- Preliminary help for Intel Raptor Lake S graphics
- Assist for customized fan curves discovered on some ASUS ROG laptops
- New driver for x86 Android tablets
- Safety: straight-line-speculation mitigations
- An addition for System76 EC particular performance
- New driver for Lenovo Yoga E book
And rather more, that is simply me cherry-picking just a few bits that stood out.