How to enable the Final Fantasy 7 Remake DirectX 11 Mode on PC
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade is out now on PC through the Epic Games Store. This port isn’t exactly great and has been met with a lot of criticism for its lack of graphical options, poor performance, and stuttering issues. We are hoping that Square Enix is taking feedback, and will improve the quality of this port, and update it accordingly. It’s a shame because the smooth performance really does play a big part in not just the presentation, but the storytelling as well. PC players can enable the Final Fantasy 7 Remake DirectX 11 Mode to get better performance, and here is how.
Considering the shape of this port, if you are running into any issues with the PS4, or PS5 controller, make sure to check out our guide for it. Mods are up for the game as well, and if you’re a fan of customization, check out our guide for Tifa’s purple dress as well.
Enable Final Fantasy 7 Remake DirectX 11 Mode
Multiple users have confirmed that running Final Fantasy 7 Remake in DirectX 11 improves performance, and mitigates stuttering. The game itself runs fine but rotating the camera, and scenes loading in can really cause some weird performance drops, and introduce stutters. DirectX 11 seems to be the more stable version and enabling that isn’t difficult, at all. To do so, follow the steps below.
Use a launch command in Epic Games Launcher
This is the easier way to do this, and you can enable DirectX 11 mode through the Epic client.
- Open Epic Games Launcher, and click on your user icon in the top right
- Now, select Settings
- Scroll down to the bottom, and expand Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade under MANAGE GAMES
- Check ADDITIONAL COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS, and add the following line
That is all you have to do, and the next you launch the game, it will be running in DirectX 11 mode.
Optional Method: Edit configuration file
If you don’t want to use the client to do this, you can still edit the configuration file to achieve the same result.
- Head over to where the game is installed, and navigate to the following folders
Final Fantasy VII Remake IntergradeEngineBinariesThirdPartyEOS
- Here, open the epic_emu.ini file using a text editor like Notepad, or Notepad++
- Now, add the following line after AppName=FFVIIRemakeIntergrade, so it looks like this
- Save the file (Ctrl+S), and exit out
This does the same thing, and the game will run in DirectX 11 mode as well.
- Removing the command line from either steps will revert the game back to DirectX 12
- For the second method, it is possible that an update will reset this setting, and you might need to follow the steps again
We hope this guide was helpful, and you were able to enable the Final Fantasy 7 Remake DirectX 11 Mode. Share your thoughts, and questions in the comments below.