After some time without talking about PSP (playstation portable), today we bring you a novelty that will surely be liked by those who still play with the portable predecessor of the PS Vita. We share with you the latest version of the software RetroArch PSPwhich brings together several of the best emulators for PSP in the same homebrew application.
RetroArch for PSP 1.9.13: PSP Emulator Pack
If you have a forgotten PSP because you have already played the games to satiety the games you have, and you don’t know what else to play on it… then pay attention. You need a hacked or jailbroken PSP that allows you to load unsigned software (although homebrew firmware is already possible, but doesn’t work with all emulators). In short, if you have been able to load a homebrew game or emulator on your laptop before, you can download RetroArch for PSP fully updated and start enjoying homebrew games. Nintendo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis/Megadrive, Game Boy Advance among others.
What cores (systems) emulates the version of RetroArch for PSP?
RetroArch is a multi-emulator that combines several emulator cores developed by other programmers and that were ported to the library known as libretro which uses RetroArch. This multi-emulator was initially programmed for PC, and it emulates a large number of systems; from the first Atari, to consoles like the Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo 3DS (recently added). But… due to limited hardware of the PSP console, not all systems (cores) can be emulated in RetroArch for PSP.
The emulators for PSP (cores) that are included in RetroArch PSP 1.9.13 are the following:
- atari800 – Emulates Atari 5200
- blueMSX – Emulates Microsoft MSX , MSX2 | ColecoVision | Sega-SG-1000
- FCEUmm – Emulates NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) | Famicom (Family Computer Disk System)
- fMSX – Emulates Microsoft – MSX | MSX2
- freeintv – Emula Mattel – Intellivision
- Fuse – Emulates ZX Spectrum (80’s computer)
- Gambatte – Emulates Nintendo Game Boy | Game Boy Color
- gpSP – Emulates Nintendo GBA (Game Boy Advance)
- GW – Emulates the first handhelds, known as the Game & Watch.
- Handy – Emulates Atari Lynx (Atari handheld console)
- Mednafen PCE Fast – Emulates NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 | PC Engine CD / TurboGrafx-CD
- mGBA – Emulates Nintendo GBA (Game Boy Advance)
- Mu – Emulates Palm OS (personal digital assistant)
- np2kai – Emulates NEC – PC-98
- NXEngine – Emulates Cave Story Game Engine
- Picodrive – Emulates Sega Master System / Mark III | Mega Drive / Genesis | Sega CD | 32X
- PrBoom – Emulates DOOM Game Engine
- QuickNES – Emulates NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) | Famicom (Family Computer Disk System)
- RACE – Emulates Neo Geo Pocket (SNK handheld console)
- SNES9x_2005 – Emulates SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System) | Sufami Turbo
- SNES9x_2005_Plus – another version of SNES9x_2005
- SquirrelJME – Emulates Java ME (J2ME)
- TempGBA – Emulates Nintendo GBA (Game Boy Advance | GBA (e-Cards)
- TGBDual – Emulates Nintendo Game Boy | Game Boy Color
If what you are looking for is to emulate PSP on another device, then you may be interested in: PPSSPP (PSP emulator for Android).
How to download RetroArch for PSP?
There are 2 alternatives when downloading RetroArch PSP; download the latest stable versionor download the most recent compiled version «nightly build» [actualizada diariamente].
- Download the file from the official website of Libretro >> stable version either nightly build.
- The file is compressed and has a .7z extension (you need the 7zip program or similar to unzip it).
How to install RetroArch for PSP?
- Connect your PSP to PC via USB cable (or you can take out the memory card and insert it into card reader on your PC).
- Unzip the contents of the archive in a folder that you can call RetroArch.
- You are going to transfer that RetroArch folder with the content extracted from the .7z file that you downloaded to the memory card of your PSP to the path /PSP/GAME.
- Now exit USB mode on your PSP, or reinsert the memory card to the PSP if it was inserted into a card reader on your PC.
- Navigate through the PSP’s XMB menu to the GAMES section and open RetroArch.
Loading roms into RetroArch for PSP
- Once we have the RetroArch program open, to load a game we will select the content (the game / rom) with the option Load Content. The circle button (O) is used to select the options of the different menus.
- We select the path where the rom (game) is located. *In RetroArch you can predefine that path in Configurations; so you don’t have to navigate through all the folders every time you go to open a new game.
- Select the game you are going to emulate to play.
- Depending on the game, different options (cores) will appear to emulate them. Some may work better than others in certain games.
- Press circle and it will open the game rom for you to start playing.